The central purpose of The Mandela Rhodes Foundation is to build exceptional leadership capacity in Africa. The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship is a combination of financial support for postgraduate studies and a high quality Leadership Development Programme.
Who can apply for a Mandela Rhodes Scholarship?
- The Scholarship is open to citizens of all African countries and is for postgraduate study at South African universities or tertiary institutions.
- Full funding is for Honours (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years) or their equivalents (MBA’s excluded).
- Any individual who will be between the ages of 19 and 30 years at the time of taking up the Scholarship may apply.
- Applicants must possess a first degree or its equivalent or must be in the process of completing one by 31 January 2020.
- Applicants should have a history of well above average academic resultsand reflect in their character a commitment to the four principles of Education, Reconciliation, Leadership and Entrepreneurship.
- Applicants must be able to attend all compulsory elements of our leadership development programme. These activities can occur during the week or on weekends.
Deadline and next steps
Opening date for 2020 applications is 8 March 2019. The application form will be live on our website, and only online applications will be accepted. Please be advised that as part of your application, three letters of recommendation are required. Your application will be considered incomplete without them. Start your application as soon as possible to give your Recommenders time to submit.
The closing date is 15 April 2019. Your Recommenders will have to upload their letters directly to our online platform by this date.
For more information about the Characteristics sought in a Mandela Rhodes Scholarclick here.
For more information about the Scholarship and application process, visit the Apply section of the website.