This course provides information on what facilities should be doing to be prepared to respond to a case of an emerging respiratory virus such as the novel coronavirus, how to identify a case once it occurs, and how to properly implement IPC measures to ensure there is no further transmission to HCW or to other patients and others in the healthcare facility.
This training is intended for healthcare workers and public health professionals, as it is focused on infection prevention and control.Self-paced
Learners enrolled: 241057
- Gain a confirmation of participation by completing at least 100% of the course material.
This course will cover the Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) measures required in order to:
- Be prepared and ready to respond to an outbreak, in particular, the one due to COVID-19.
- Limit human to human transmission by way of implementing WHO recommended IPC interventions.
- Identify, isolate and report suspect and confirmed cases.
There are resources attached to each module to help you dive further into this topic.
On completion of this course, you should be able to:
- define IPC and its role in the context of preparedness, readiness and response;
- describe the current epidemiological COVID-19 situation, including case definitions and signs & symptoms;
- describe source control, administrative controls and environmental and engineering controls;
- describe the WHO-recommended IPC measures for health care facilities, including when dealing with suspect or confirmed COVID-19 cases;
- describe additional IPC measures to be taken to assist in general preparedness within a health care facility.
Course duration: Approximately 1 hour.
Certificates: A Confirmation of Participation is available to participants who complete 100% of the course material.
After completing this course, should you be interested in learning about how to correctly put on and remove personal protective equipment (PPE) in the context of COVID-19, please refer to the OpenWHO course: COVID-19: How to put on and remove personal protective equipment (PPE): https://openwho.org/courses/IPC-PPE-EN
- Module 1: Preparedness, readiness and IPC:This module provides an overview of Infection Prevention and Control measures for preparedness and readiness.
- Module 2: The novel coronavirus (COVID-19): its epidemiology, risk factors, definitions and symptomology:Module 2 provides an introduction to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Module 3: Standard precautions, transmission-based precautions & COVID-19 specific recommendations:This module reviews various precautions which should be taken to prepare for and respond to COVID-19.