IsDB Master Scholarship Programme Fully Funded
The Programme was launched with an objective to assist IsDB member countries and Muslim communities in non-member countries in the development of their human capitals in key areas of development to pursue Master degree in specific fields to empower communities with a special focus on “Sustainability Science” to support the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Presidency 5-Year Plan (P5P).
The concept of the Programme is based on the following:
- The Programme is a tool for the improvement of the socio-economic conditions in general. It is a scholarship programme and a development programme at the same time, since the students are required to play a leading role in assisting the development of their communities and countries after completion of their studies.
- The Programme offers scholarships leading to a full-time Master degree (in 2 years maximum) either through course work, research or a combination of both. Whichever the mode, it must be completed within the specified two-year time frame and there is no possibility of extension with the IsDB funding.
- The scholarship is awarded as an interest-free loan (Qard Hasan) to the students but grant to their communities/countries. The beneficiaries are required to refund 50% of the loan after graduation and securing gainful employment, to a Local Education Trust Fund (LETF) established in each member country benefiting from the Programme. The collected amounts are to be recycled in new scholarships offered to students from the same country.
- The graduated students are required to take part in the development of their communities/ countries, through their respective professions, while the community development services rendered by the graduates will contribute to the overall development of their communities/countries
The Programme is open for academically meritorious students and mid-career professionals from member countries and Muslim Communities in non-member countries who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Citizens of any of the IsDB member countries or Muslim communities in non-member countries;
- Be a graduate with a grade above “Good” in his/her bachelor studies.
- Not in receipt of any other scholarship; and
- Be medically fit and willing to undergo medical tests after selection.
Fields of study
The eligible candidates may apply to study one of the following fields of study only:
|Sustainable Agriculture||Food SecurityResilient CropsPostharvest Technologies|
|Education||Quality of Teaching, Pupil/Teacher RatioHigh Level Training|
|Education for Sustainable Development||Integration of Sustainability-related issues into national curricula and teaching syllabus documents|
|Climate Change||Strategies for Reductions of CO2 Emissions.Climate Mitigation Carbon Sequestration Methods|
|Energy||Renewable Energy Green TechnologiesSolar Potential Hydrogen Fuel CellsBiogas and Biodiesel|
|Sustainable Cities||Insulation Technologies, Transportation, Urban Planning|
|Responsible Growth||Reduction of WasteServing CommunitiesEthics of Growth|
|Waste Management||RecyclingCarbon Footprint ReductionWaste to Energy Technologies|
|Population Growth||Urban Sprawl, Density and EpidemicsOvershoot|
|Green Chemistry||Alternative TechnologiesCutting-edge ResearchLimitation of Pollution|
|Biodiversity||Loss of BiodiversityEcosystem ServicesMass ExtinctionAgrobiodiversity|
|Plastic pollution and Micro-plastics||Plastic Incorporation into the Food ChainBiodegradable Plastics, Recycling Possibilities.|
|Water and Hygiene||Water Purity and Availability,Sanitation and Quality.|
|ICT for Development||Computer Science, Laser and Fiber Optics, TelecommunicationElectronics|
|Innovation & Infrastructure Development||Build Resilient Infrastructure – Innovation and Industrial Development – Technological Infrastructure – Product Innovation.|
|Islamic Economics, Finance and Banking||Mode & Services of Islamic Banking and Finance,Sharia Standards for IFIs, Islamic Insurance & Takaful, Islamic Capital Market, Sharia & Operational Aspects of Sukuk, Islamic Micro-Finance, Zakat Management,Awqaf & Zakat Management.|
|Development-related Social Sciences||International economics, JournalismLawIntellectual Property (IP)Political SciencesEntrepreneurships.|
Benefits and facilities
The programme covers the following items:
- Monthly stipend commensurate with the cost of living of the country of study;
- Tuition fees, if any, subject to IsDB’s approval;
- Cost of medical treatment at university/government hospital;
- Economy class return air tickets (once at the time of joining and on completion of study) and installation and equipment allowance for the students selected to study abroad at partnered universities/countries; and
- Thesis preparation Allowance.
To help students prepare themselves for their future leading role in the development of their communities and countries, the IsDB also provides them with extra-curricular activities under a special programme called “Mentorship Programme” to ensure their academic progress and social and psychological integration in the university as well as the local community environment.
Place of Study
Consistent with the concept of the Programme, selected students must obtain admissions in one of the approved fields of study at one of the top public/government universities in their own countries. In case of unavailability of fields of study in their home countries, they can seek admission in member countries having agreement with the IsDB, i.e. Malaysia, Morocco, Tunisia and Turkey. In addition, selected students may seek admission from top universities having agreement with the IsDB, i.e. Cambridge and Oxford Universities, National University of Uzbekistan and Tashkent University of Information Technologies
Note: Getting admission does not mean automatic selection and is not a requirement for application. The final decision on place of study is made by the selection committee.
Candidates granted the Scholarship are expected to:
- Sign the IsDB’s prescribed Scholarship Agreement stating their commitment to their studies and serve their communities and countries upon graduation;
- Devote themselves to their studies on a full-time basis and without interruption and provide the IsDB with progress reports on their studies on a regular basis;
- Not to seek or accept other scholarship or remunerated work during their study under the Programme;
- Respect the laws of the country of study and maintain good personal and professional conduct consistent with the rules, regulations and objectives of the Programme and the overall mission of the IsDB;
- Register and join the IsDB Alumni after graduation to network with other alumnus and keep updating the IsDB about their progress and achievements in their communities/countries.
- Refund 50% of the loan after graduation and securing gainful employment, in easy installments, to Local Education Trust Fund (LETF) established by the IsDB in their countries.
The review and selection process are undertaken by an independent International Selection Committee, composed of academicians and chaired by the Senior Advisor to the IsDB President for Science, Technology and Innovation.
The Selection Committee assesses the applicants’ qualifications and eligibility requirements and ascertains the scientific and development relevance of the proposed fields of study. Recommendation for final selection is made by the committee and final selection is approved by the IsDB management whose decision is final.