Paid Internship position in Switzerland in the UN Agency – IOM
Position Title : Ethics and Conduct Office (ECO)
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification : Intern, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Internship, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 04 November 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Ethics and Conduct Office (ECO) promotes a robust ethical culture at IOM based on the Organization’s shared core values. ECO works to promote and uphold the Organization’s values, including the highest standards of conduct and professionalism, in line with IOM’s Standards of Conduct and related policies. ECO provides impartial advice and counsel to the Organization and all IOM personnel about ethical issues and the Standards of Conduct.
ECO is a formal, independent office, responsible for advising staff and non-staff members about conflicts of interest, outside activities, close relatives, and gifts. Through training and outreach, ECO promotes ethical awareness and behaviour and strives to help IOM personnel understand their responsibilities working for IOM and to put the Organization’s shared values into practice.
Accountability is one of the key features of professionalism at IOM and all IOM personnel have a duty to report any breach of the Organization’s rules and regulations. IOM is committed to protecting staff members from retaliation.
The successful candidate will work under the overall direction from the Head of the Ethics and Conduct Office and the direct supervision of the Ethics and Integrity Officer. S/he will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist with uploading data, keeping up to date, monitoring usage, suggesting improvements in and providing reports on ECOs multiple case managing and tracking systems.
- Assist in drafting and reviewing ECO related documents, policies and procedures.
- Assist in the development, implementation and analysis of training modules.
- Assist with the intake system of issues addressed to the ECO, including providing legal advice and research.
- Prepare reports of ECO activities and assist in preparing trends and analysis from the ECO database.
- Conduct legal research on topics related to ECOs mandate and responsibilities, as needed.
- Translate, proofread and format documents, including those that contain sensitive or confidential information.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Training Components and Learning Elements
The successful candidate will acquire technical knowledge in the area of Ethics and Conduct
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
• University degree in the above fields with relevant professional experience.
• Any work experience from or knowledge of UN or alike organizations;
• Experience working in sensitive environments and with confidential information and processes;
• Experience of working in a multi-cultural setting an advantage;
• Proven experience in drafting reports and internal / external documents.
• Excellent computer literacy, especially database tools;
• Good analytical and drafting skills; resourcefulness, initiative;
• Strong organizational skills;
• Ability to meet deadlines in accordance with instructions and guidelines;
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 04 November 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 22.10.2019 to 04.11.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: INT 2019/45 – Intern – Ethics and Conduct Office (ECO) – Geneva, Switzerland (56204407) Released
Posting: Posting NC56204442 (56204442) Released