Sheikh Zayed Book Award and Cash Prizes up to AED 7 Million 2020
The Sheikh Zayed Book Award has been launched in the United Arab Emirates for intellectuals, innovators, publishers, and young people to contribute to the development, writing and translation of humanities that have a clear impact on the enrichment of cultural, literary and social life according to scientific and objective criteria. The prize was created with the support of the Department of Culture and Tourism – Abu Dhabi, in recognition of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, and his pioneering role in unification, development, state-building and human rights.
- Development and State Building
- Arabic Culture in Other Languages
- Children’s Literature
- Arts and Monetary Studies
- The Young Author
- The Cultural Personality of the Year
- Publishing and Cultural Techniques
Terms of Participation:
- The participant must have contributed to the development of thought and creativity in the Arab culture, whether creators or thinkers or publishers, and that the participant works to achieve a high degree of originality and innovation, and represents a true addition to culture and human knowledge.
- The participant has the right to submit only one work to one of the award categories.
- The book must not be nominated for another prize in the original or the substitution during the same year.
- Nominated works should be written in Arabic for all the categories except translation.
- The intellectual and creative output must be published in a paperback cover.
- In the event of a participation in the work by a painter or a co-author, they must be included in the nomination form and attach their data.
- The work submitted must contain an ISBN to guarantee ownership rights.
- The award is not given to works that have already won a major Arab or foreign award.
- The participant may be re-nominated for the award with the same work, with the need to meet the requirement of the period of time, and to submit new copies of the work.
- The committees shall be entitled to withhold the prize in one of its categories without giving reasons, or withdraw it after granting it, if it so chooses or takes such action as it sees fit.
- The book must be published, not for more than 2 years, except for the category of Arabic Culture in Other Languages that can’t be published for more than 5 years.
- Copies submitted to the publishing house shall be deposited in Abu Dhabi and shall not be returned to their owners.
- The works must be received in their original languages, except in the category of Arabic Culture in Other Languages that may be in English, Italian, German, French or Spanish.
- The participant must not be more than 40 years old in the Young Author category.
- The Sheikh Zayed Book Award is given to the “Cultural Personality of the Year” for a prominent personality, at the Arab or international level, with its clear contribution to enriching Arab culture creatively or intellectually, where the values of originality, tolerance, and peaceful co-existence are. This category is nominated through academic, research and cultural institutions.
Conditions for Participation in the Publishing and Cultural Techniques Category:
- Publishing house registration certificate.
- Publisher profile.
- List of publications over the last 5 years.
- The award in this section is awarded to the best publisher, distributor, or publishing and distribution institution, which combines the consideration of quantity and quality in the issuance of various books in various fields.
- The participant must be committed to the effective legislation of intellectual property, publications, publishing, and information technology.
- Participants must submit their required documents.
- The publishing houses are entitled to nominate an infinite number of books issued by them, as well as to nominate the house at the same time.
The total value of all categories of the Sheikh Zayed Book Award is AED 7 million, distributed as follows:
- AED 750,000 to the winner of each of the eight award categories.
- AED 1,000,000 to the winner of the Cultural Personality of the Year category.
- A gold medal with the award’s logo and a certificate of appreciation in all winners of all categories.
How to Apply
Register on the website to fill out the application form, then send 5 copies of the work by post to the award headquarters:
Sheikh Zayed Book Award
Department of Culture and Tourism – Abu Dhabi
PO Box 2380, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Note: Deadline will be on 1 October 2020
for more information visit the link Next