UNHCR Strategic Communications Internships Global Communications Service – Geneva Switzerland
Strategic Communications Internships
Global Communications Service
UNHCR is looking for talented, motivated and passionate individuals – like you – from around the world who bring knowledge, innovative thinking and different ideas to enhance our capacity to serve people of concern to the organization.
UNHCR’s Internship Programme offers eligible students and recent graduates the opportunity to gain experience in the humanitarian sector in an international environment, in line with their academic programme or future work in a field related to UNHCR’s mission. Internships are offered at various locations depending on the needs and capacity of offices to receive and supervise interns and provide them with meaningful assignments. An internship can begin at any time during the year and it normally lasts two to six months.
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering an internship within the Coordination and Strategic Communications Unit in our Geneva Headquarters in Switzerland.
UNHCR is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
Title: Strategic Communications Intern
Functional Unit: Coordination and Strategic Communication Unit
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
Duration: 6 months
Closing date: 19 March 2020 (midnight Geneva time)
Start date: 20 .04 .2020
The Communications Strategy and Coordination Unit leads the development and rollout of UNHCR Global Communications Strategy. The unit supports communications strategies for emergency situations, countries and thematic areas. We develop tactics and tools, identify trends and forge partnerships to help meet UNHCR global Communications Objectives:
1. Lead the narrative
2. Generate empathy
3. Mobilize action
You will work closely with the Associate Communications Officer and other members of the Communications Strategy and Coordination Unit.
Duties and responsibilities
- Help coordinate the development of proactive tactics to achieve UNHCR’s
- communications objectives in the context of different strategies and projects (e.g. Outreach to university students, Refugee Olympics team)
- Monitor the development and implementation of communications strategies for different emergency situations (e.g. Afghanistan, North of Central America, Myanmar, South Sudan, Venezuela)
- Build a database of media contacts, partners and influencers who can be activated to help boost the impact of UNHCR’s communications products
- Conduct research and liaise with expert colleagues to draft background notes about key issues linked to forced displacement in different regions (e.g. climate displacement, gang violence, economic inclusion, returns, etc.)
- Support effective uploading and archiving of content on the Refugees Media Library.
- Facilitate the translation of certain materials
- Help produce communications materials and toolkits to promote
- the campaigns, postcards, roll up, short videos, social media images, etc
Minimum Qualifications for the Internship:
- In order to be considered for an internship, candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Recent graduates (those persons who completed their studies within one year of applying) or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university of higher education facility accredited by UNESCO; and
- Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to the work of the Organization.
- Please note that candidates who have immediate relatives (father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister) working as staff members of UNHCR are not eligible.
Desirable qualifications and skills:
Qualifications and competencies
- Degree in Communications, International Relations, Political Sciences,
- Journalism or related field
- Good understanding of issues related to forced displacement
- Experience in project management; excellent organizational skills
- Interest in digital media and communications campaigns
- Content production skills or interest (video or graphic design software, etc)
- Events management and organization
- Advanced knowledge of corporate software such
- as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat
- Excellent writing, public speaking presentation skills
- Experience creating and managing websites (e.g. Drupal, WordPress)
- Knowledge of project management tools a plus (e.g. Asana, Google, Slack)
- Knowledge of email marketing software a plus (e.g. MailChimp)
- Knowledge of design software a plus (e.g. Photoshop, InDesign)
- Knowledge of video editing a plus (e.g Premier)
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
- Other languages, including French, Spanish or Arabic, are an asset
The successful candidate will be based with the team at the UNHCR Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
Conditions & Allowances:
It is a full-time role with working hours starting from 9.00am to 6:00pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
Allowance: Interns who do not receive financial support from an outside party will receive an allowance to partially help to cover the cost of food, local transportation and living expenses.
Before the start of an internship with UNHCR, candidates are responsible for arranging medical insurance and for providing proof to UNHCR of valid medical insurance covering the period of the contract. UNHCR accepts no responsibility for any costs connected to medical insurance of interns, nor does the organization cover the costs for medical evacuation of interns. Interns working in locations where medical facilities are inadequate are advised to ensure that their medical insurance covers emergency medical evacuation.
Furthermore, the health insurance selected by interns should provide the necessary geographical coverage for both accident and illness.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit their application through www.unhcr.org/careers.html by clicking on vacancies and searching for Job Opening 19375.
- The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities
- as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
- UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing or training).