The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences of Stellenbosch University is pleased to announce, in partnership with the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, a limited number of full-time scholarships for Master’s (100% research) or PhD studies. Scholarships are available in all the disciplines that form part of our Faculty but this particular scholarship funding is available only for a research topic that falls within one of the following areas: • African Cultural Studies • The Anthropocene and Ecocriticism • Identity, Gender and/or Queer Studies
The University of Stellenbosch is among the leading institutes of higher learning in South Africa based on research products, learner success rates, and designer scholars and is known internationally as an academic institute of excellence.
The university intends to conceptualize and hypothesize SI in higher education, stabilize integrated and systematic SI training in faculties, professional academic support backgrounds, scientific structures, and develop institutional assistance for SI expansion.
- Host University: Stellenbosch University
- Department: College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Study level: Masters and PhD degrees
- The award can be taken in South Africa
- Application deadline: October 31, 2021
Funding provided in the Scholarships
Up to 400 000 ZAR (PhD) and up to 105 000 ZAR (MA)
Acceptable Course or Subjects
Master’s and PhD degrees in Cultural Studies, English Literature, English as a Second Language (ESL), English, Psychology, and Music
Conditions for submission
- Applicants should have obtained a minimum of 75% for their previous degree.
- Applicants are expected to provide a sample of their writing with their application: MA thesis for PhD applicants Honours research essay for MA applicants Any published academic articles related to your application
- At the date of application, applicants must not be older than 30 years to apply for a Master’s scholarship and not older than 35 to apply for a PhD scholarship.
- Students are not required to be registered or to have a supervisor. They should, however, inform themselves with regard to the availability of supervisors in their particular field of research before submitting an application. RECOMMENDATIONS
- An existing record of publications;
- Awards or grants received;
- Relevant professional experience;
- The ability to use any language(s) in addition to English for academic purposes. APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND REQUIREMENTS
- Official application form
- A motivation letter (not longer than 600 words);
- A preliminary research proposal, no longer than 1000 words, underlining the unique contribution your research will make to the existing body of knowledge in the particular field of study, the problem statement, the methodology / theoretical framework / philosophical underpinnings you intend to use and the feasibility of your study;
- A certified copy of your full academic transcript;
- A certified copy of your Honours or MA degree certificate – or foreign equivalent (if you have completed the qualification but have not yet obtained the certificate, official proof from the institution concerned that the degree will be delivered before March 2021);
- A certified copy of your South African ID or passport (for international students).
How to apply
- How to apply: In order to apply for the scholarship, after obtaining admission, aspirants can navigate the online portal.
- Supporting Documents: Candidates must submit a copy of the following required documents with the application, for example:
- Letter of motivation (no more than 600 words);
- A preliminary research proposal, of no more than 1000 words, emphasizes the unique contribution that your research will make to the current body of knowledge in the particular field of study, problem statement, methodology / theoretical framework / philosophical foundations you intend to use and the viability of your study.
- A certified copy of your complete academic transcript;
- Certified copy of your honors degree or master’s degree – or its foreign equivalent (if you have completed the qualification but have not yet obtained the degree, official proof from the relevant institution that the degree will be delivered before March 2021);
- Certified copy of your South African ID or passport (for international students).
- Admission requirements: Scholars who hold a letter of offer for their degree with unique curriculum criteria and must fulfill the eligibility requirements.
- Language Requirement: If English is not your first language, you will need to show that your English language skills are high enough for success in your studies.