Opportunity to Participate in the OIST Internship Program in Japan for 2022 (Fully Funded)
The OIST Graduate School offers education and research opportunities through our Research Intern program. The duration of the internship is typically from 2 to 6 months. These short-term placements give students the opportunity to gain experience in a particular laboratory or to learn a specific technique. Interns will work under the direction of a Professor and contribute to the research activities of OIST.
Internships may begin and end at any time during the year, with two application periods.
OIST will provide the following support for successful applicants:
- JPY 2,400 per working day (taxable and weekends excluded)
- OIST Shuttle Bus Pass
- One direct round-trip air ticket (travel date will be closest date to the term of placement)
- Furnished apartment on or off campus
OIST will also assist in visa acquisition, insurance procedures, and local registration. This will only be provided for the student. Therefore, this does not pertain to the dependents and family members of the student.
Applicants who intend to import biological or hazardous material for their research are urged to insure that such import is in compliance with all regulations of their home country, any country of transit, and of Japan, and to complete all necessary paperwork for importation well ahead of time.
Detailed regulations pertaining to matters of payment, intellectual property rights, attendance, health and safety, and other matters have been drawn up and will be made available to successful applicants.
How to apply for the OIST Internship Program?
Students in an undergraduate program or who recently graduated interested in joining the OIST Ph.D. program may undertake educational activity at OIST as a Research Intern. A research internship at OIST provides students with experience working in a research environment under the direction of OIST faculty.
Research Intern places are awarded twice a year on a competitive basis. Selection is highly competitive and depends on the suitability of the intended research, academic background, available funding, and space. Not all available positions will necessarily be filled.
OIST strives to create and maintain an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment that does not discriminate against gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, medical condition, race, ethnicity, ancestry, culture, national origin, religion, or marital status. Applications from women and other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged.
- Applications to the program must be made through the online form.
- You can only submit your application after at least one recommendation letter is received in the application system.
- You will receive an auto-notification that your application has been received. (Please check your settings to ensure you can receive emails from @oist.jp domain.)
- Following the application period, applications will be screened and selection will be completed.
- The result announcement will be posted on your application platform 3 months after the application deadline. You will receive a notification when the result is posted. (In some cases, applicants’ email services/settings prevent receipt of our notifications. Please confirm that your inbox is able to receive emails from @oist.jp domain.)
- Following final confirmation of internship offers, all necessary arrangements will be made, in cooperation with the interns. Your cooperation is required for timely completion of logistics to begin the internship, including possible visa preparations and other necessary Japanese government documentation.
October 15th 2021
*The period of the internship must be between 2 and 6 months consecutively. Under the current immigration restriction, applicants who require visa for the internship should consider an internship of at least 90 days in order to be eligible for visa application.
*Due to COVID-19, arrivals of students residing outside of Japan is subjected to the international travel restrictions. Under current requirements, foreign residents will have to do 14 days self-quarantine after arriving to Japan. Upon arrival, all students are required to undertake PCR testing prior to starting the program.
Therefore, please note that your departure date for OIST will be:
Foreign residents: about 3 weeks prior to internship start date.
Residents in Japan: about 3 days prior to internship start date.
*Date is subject to change on availability of the unit.
Required Application Materials
You will need to open an account in order to apply to the program. Be sure to remember your username and password. You may complete the application all at once or in multiple sessions. Please fill out and submit the following materials to apply for the program:
1) Curriculum Vitae Sheet
Please upload your CV on the online application form.
- There is no required format. However, you can use this OIST CV Template as reference.
2) Statement of Interest
The Statement of Interest form is provided on the online application form.
Please write a 400-word statement including the following points:
- How does OIST and your desired research unit(s) fit with your current expertise and skill set? If you are interested in multiple research units, please explain your interest and fit for each briefly within one single statement.
- What do you hope to accomplish at OIST?
- How does a research internship at OIST fit into your overall career plans/aspirations?
3) Academic Transcript
Scanned copies of your current academic transcript and any other transcript from your past degree (BSc, MSc, etc.)
- An English explanation is required for transcripts that are not written in English.
4) Recommendation Letter
A letter of reference from an academic or research professional familiar with your work is required. Each applicant is required to have at least one and no more than three letters of recommendation from appropriate referees. The application system will ask your referee directly for the letter(s), using the email contact details that you provide in the web application form. Please obtain the consent of your referee before submitting their details in the form. We do not accept any letters via email from applicants. Applicants will be automatically notified within the application system when OIST receives a recommendation letter.
5) ID Photo
Upload a recent photo, showing your face from the front in standard passport orientation.
Once you have obtained/ prepared all the documents above, please apply to the program through this APPLICATION FORM.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to do research in my area of interest at OIST?
This table lists information about research units and their projects available for interns. Additionally, you can learn about more of the research going on at OIST here. Please have a look and see if there is anything suitable to your interests. As we continue to grow new areas of focus will be added, but main fields represented at OIST are in the areas of science and technology.
I don’t have an official transcript since I have not graduated yet. Can I submit a different document?
For students who have not yet graduated, we are able to accept an unofficial transcript or other official university document showing your courses and grades.
What are the 4 types of student loans?
There are four main types of loans available to undergraduate students: Subsidized, Unsubsidized, Parent PLUS, and Private. We will review all of them here, and help you understand your ideal choices for Student Loans, and types to avoid if possible.
Who can get an Education Loan?
Any student can get an education loan with the guardians or parents as co-applicants. The repayment of the education loan will start from one year after the completion of your course, or within six months of getting a job after your course, whichever is earlier.
WHY STUDY IN JAPAN?
There are many good reasons to study in Japan. Some students are attracted by Japan’s high educational standards, while for others the attraction is Japan’s rich cultural heritage. Nearly 5 million students study abroad annually, with that number projected to continue increasing. With over 150,000 international students, Japan is one of the most popular destinations for international students.
- High educational standards
- See the world, develop as a person
- See the world, develop as a person
- Discover Japan’s rich cultural heritage
- Japan is a safe, peaceful place to study
- Martial arts and culture
- Improving your employability
- Low tuition fees and generous scholarships
You can apply to Chevening Masters Scholarships In UK 2021/2022