About GIST | Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology
The Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology is a research-oriented university focused on science and technology that is located in Gwangju, South Korea. GIST is a member of the research-oriented universities group consisting of GIST-KAIST-UNIST-POSTECH-DGIST.
Is Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology good?
Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology Rankings
Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology is ranked #846 in Best Global Universities. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence.
- South Korea
- Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST)
Please note that to be considered for admissions, we must have your completed application and all other required materials before the deadlines. Upon request, applications received after the deadline may be considered for the following semester.
Financial Support of the GIST Scholarship in South Korea:
All international students will be getting 100% support in the tuition fee i.e. the tuition fee will be waived off.
Monthly Stipends (All International Students)
- Student allowance: 140,000 won per month for M.S. students, 295,000 won per month for Ph.D. students
- Meal allowance: nearly 100,000 won per month※Students should have completed at least 9 credits in the previous semester for the above two.
- International student allowance: 120,000 won per month※ GPA of 3.0 or higher (out of 4.5) in the previous semester
(All students participating in research projects)
Average as of 2017
- 4,820,000 won per year of M.S.
- 11,480,000 won per year of Ph.D.
Health Insurance (All International Students)
- 60% of the Korean National Health Insurance fee is supported.※Other options may exist.
- Annual medical checkup
Flight Reimbursement (All Incoming International Students)
- Reimbursement for a one-way flight to Korea※For the first time use only.※Exchange Rate: USD 1 = KRW 1,074.10 (as of May 2, 2018)
- Master of Science Program (M.S.)
- Doctor of Philosophy Program (Ph.D.)
- Integrated M.S. and Ph.D. Program (M.S./Ph.D.)
GIST offers M.S., Ph.D. and integrated M.S. and Ph.D. degree programs.
Students are expected to maintain full-time student status and continuous registration until the completion of all requirements. It normally takes two years to finish an M.S. program and four years for a Ph.D. program. The maximum completion times for the M.S., Ph.D. and M.S./Ph.D. progrmas are three years, seven years and eight years respectively.
- School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- School of Materials Science and Engineering
- School of Mechanical Engineering
- School of Earth Sciences and Environmental Engineering
- School of Life Science
- Department of Physics and Photon Science
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Biomedical Science and Engineering
- School of Integrated Technology
- Artificial Intelligence Graduate School
- School of Energy Convergence
(1) Online Application
- Submission of the online application at
(2) Certified Degree/Diploma and Transcripts
- A certified copy of the official degree(s) of bachelor and master(for doctoral applicants) from the institution(s) attended or attending should be submitted.
- Certified documents with apostille attached (or Korean embassy certificate) are preferred.
(3) Two Letters of Recommendation on the Prescribed Form
- Two letters of recommendation on the prescribed form will be acceptable.
- Recommender’s signature or stamp must be included.
※ Only this form will be accepted for two letters of recommendation.
- Only for GIST graduates who apply for Ph. D. program to the same academic advisor, the recommendation letters can be replaced with ‘Confirmation Certificate for Ph. D. Applicant’
(4) An Official English Proficiency Test Score Report
- Minimum scores: 80(TOEFL iBT), 6.5(Academic IELTS), 750(TOEIC), 600(TEPS), 327(NEW TEPS).
- Tests must be taken within two years before the deadline date.
- Only original copies will be accepted.
- For IELTS only, photocopies will be accepted.
- Our institution code for ETS is 0144.
- Conditional Admissions(Extended of Deadline for English Proficiency Test Score Report)
※ Any students admitted to the Institute with conditional admission (who does not have an English score report at the point of application period), within 6 months from the date of admission, submit official English test results that meet the application criteria of the Institute. These results should be submitted to the Section of Graduate Admissions and receive approval from Academic Affairs Committee. Any persons who has conditionally admitted to the Institute, but fail to fulfill the requirements stated above, will automatically be removed from the school register 7 months after the date of admission.
(5) A Copy of the Applicant’s Passport
(1) A Letter of Recommendation for Matriculation Fee Waiver
- A letter of recommendation for the Matriculation Fee waiver must be issued by chair of your last home university or department on the prescribed form.
(2) A Certificate of English Language Proficiency Issued from the Applicant’s Last Home University
- For Conditional Admission only
- A certificate stating that English is the language of instruction will be accepted.
Submit the online application by uploading the required documents. Choose your field of study and complete all relevant sections of the online application form. The online application form is accessible at: SERVICE LINK
The International Admissions Coordinator will contact you when application and all the required documents are confirmed. (Check My Status in online application)
Notification of the admissions resultsA notification of results will be sent to the email address provided on or around June 15 for Fall admission and November 30 for Spring admission to those applicants whose documents have been received by the specified deadlines. Admitted candidates are expected to respond to the offers of admission within 15 days of notification.
Completion of enrollment requires the reception of documents and paying the Matriculation Fee.If you have decided to accept the offer of admission, you should enroll at GIST within the deadline provided. Upon enrollment, you will receive the admission packet: Certificate of Admission, Certificate of Financial Sponsorship, and a Letter of Invitation
Apply for a student visa.In order to apply for a student visa, you will need to obtain a student visa application form. This form is available at the Embassy of the Republic of Korea in your home country. When you apply for a visa, you must attach the Certificate of Admission to the application form. After you receive your visa, you can contact the staff at the Section of International Cooperation(SIC) and the staff at your school or department. The staff of both departments will assist in arranging your travel to Korea.