Internship for Hospital Pharmacist Junior at the Organization of Emergency
|Organization:||Emergency – Life Support for Civilian War Victims|
|Years of experience:||0-2 years|
|TYPE OF CONTRACT:||Fixed-term contract (6 months)|
The Paediatric Centre of Nyala provides free and high- quality paediatric treatment to children under 14. The Centre is equipped with three paediatric clinics, a heart clinic, a radiology room, a laboratory for analysis, a pharmacy, and a hospital ward with 18 bed spaces**, as well as other integral facilities like the stock room, offices and kitchen.**
This role requires the complete management of a hospital pharmacy from the order, the reception and the storage of medical supplies, to the control of suitability in the management of departments’ requests.
BACKGROUND AND ORGANISATION OF WORK
The international Hospital Pharmacist carries out his/her role in close collaboration with the most experienced members of the local health care and technical staff in each department, so as to constantly monitor the needs of the hospital and facilitate the regular functioning of clinical, therapeutic and welfare activities. He/she will be in regular communication with the Pharmacy Desk and the Medical Division of EMERGENCY in Italy (HQ).
The international pharmacist reports to the Medical Coordinator, who is responsible for the management and organisation of the project.
The main area of work is:
- HOSPITAL PHARMACY
The pharmacist is present in the hospital 6 days a week. He/she will have information technology systems at your disposal, and the support of the international logistics staff. He/she will coordinate the national staff (pharmacists and stores assistants) in the correct receipt, storage, conservation and distribution of pharmacy materials.
DUTIES AND REPONSIBILITIES
All EMERGENCY international personnel are expected to know and follow the hospital admissions criteria, guidelines, protocols, and the diagnosis and treatment standards in use in the Centre, and to ensure the correct compilation of clinical records and statistics in both computer and paper formats.
The main duties and responsibilities of the hospital pharmacist are:
- to support the managing of purchases in Italy or in the field (costs and quality evaluation, comparative analysis of similar products, selection of new products to insert in the handbook with the support of EMERGENCY’s Medical Division; storage and distribution to guarantee the traceability of the items);
- to monitor the usage (of medical supplies, consumables or reagent) once received the request from a department, evaluating the consumption and the adherence to protocols in use;
- to cooperate with the coordinators of the Paediatric Centres and/or First Aid Posts, connected with the hospital for the efficient planning and management of pharmaceuticals and medical materials in use;
- to cooperate with the logistic area in the acquisition of products coming from Italy;
- to monitor the purchase (budget definition and monitoring);
- to monitor the safety in quality of drug control responsible.
MANAGEMENT AND TRAINING OF LOCAL PERSONNEL
Work is always carried out alongside and in collaboration with local personnel, who thus benefit from training in the field.
- Degree in Pharmacy, Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Technology (CPT) and specialization in Hospital Pharmacy or equivalent (Pharmacology);
- experience in the management of pharmaceutical supplies, consumables and other medical materials for hospitals and/or health centres;
- experience in the use of relevant management software;
- good organisational and logistical skills;
- experience in Cardiac Surgery departments/centres would be an advantage.
6 months’ overseas stay including a period of leave to be taken at the end of the mission in agreement with the coordinator.
About The Organisation
EMERGENCY was founded in Milan, Italy, in 1994.
It was recognized as an NGO in 1999 and as an official partner of the UN Department of Public Information in 2006.
Since 2015, we have been part of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) as an Associate with Special Consultative Status.
Since January 2018, we have been official partner of EU Civil Protection & Humanitarian Aid (ECHO).
In November 2020, the EU Humanitarian Partnership Certificate was awarded to EMERGENCY as a result of the positive assessment of the partnership application to the European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operation (ECHO).
With this certificate, EMERGENCY is considered suitable to apply for EU funding for the implementation of humanitarian aid actions.
How to apply
Please, send a CV to [email protected]