Communications Assistant Internship at UNDP
|Organization||United Nations Development Programme|
|Type of Contract||Internship|
|Application Deadline||08/12/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duration of Initial Contract||One year, with the possibility of extension|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP Sudan is implementing a wide range of interventions to pre-empt and respond to the needs of the country as it moves from a conflict-challenged environment to one of peace. UNDP needs to enhance its position to reflect the positive impact of its interventions; position UNDP as a lead agency in recovery, reintegration and development; highlight UNDP’s role vis-à-vis the donor community; and ensure flow of communications between UNDP and those it serves.
The SPPC Unit designs and executes effective communications strategies on UNDP results and activities; and builds resourceful partnerships with UNDP stakeholders. Specifically, SPPC integrates three functions on Communications, Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) and Information Management to support senior management, programme and project teams in the development of high-quality substance-driven outreach; visibility of programme and project implementation; reporting on development impact; formulation & maintenance of partnerships, and in multi-level resource mobilization.
The internship will be supervised and guided by the head of the team. Each deliverable requires close communication and coordination with Communications team members, including feedback on draft products and clearance.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Head of Communications the incumbent will support and assist in four main areas of Communications and Events Management outlined as follows:
- Provide support to storytelling, report writing and other content production such as leaflets, brochures, fact sheets, ranging from drafting to editing of other material;
- Copy writing and production of promotional videos for digital use;
- Conduct research on assigned issues and liaise with international organizations, including multilateral development banks and other agencies, funds and programs in the UN System;
- Liaise with programme and field teams to identify content and opportunities to highlight and further development narratives;
- Provide support to any other functions requested by the head of the unit.
- Knowledge management and sharing;
- Development and operational effectiveness;
- Demonstrates excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and present them in a comprehending simple language
- Uses Information Technology effectively as a tool and resource;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude with the ability to work under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
- Be enrolled in an international postgraduate degree programme (such as a master’s programme, or higher); OR
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree international programme (such as bachelor’s
- degree or equivalent); OR
- Have recently graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected,
- must start the internship within one-year of graduation; OR
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate international professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program.
Preferred Qualifications of the Successful Individual Contractor
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Media, Journalism, Marketing, Politics, Development, International Relations, Design,
- Digital Media or a related field.
- Excellent understanding and background in communications, social media or related areas.
- International experience is an assets.
- Strong writing and social media skills.
- Knowledge of Facebook/Twitter/Instagram platforms is a must.
- MS Office (in particular MW Word, Excel & Power Point).
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Canva and other Adobe software is desirable.
- Familiarity with development related organizational systems.
Language: Excellent English mandatory. Arabic is an advantage.
Desirable: Excellent inter-personal and communication skills.
- UNDP will provide a stipend in the amount of USD 202.35 monthly in accordance with the provisions of the UNDP Internship
- UNDP will provide no cost for this post
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship.
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship.
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity.
- Interns are expected to work full time but flexibility is allowed for education programmes;
About United Nations Development Programme
The United Nations Development Programme is a United Nations organization tasked with helping countries eliminate poverty and achieve sustainable economic growth and human development. Headquartered in New York City, it is the largest UN development aid agency, with offices in 170 countries.
- Headquarters: New York, NY
- Founded: November 22, 1965, United States
- Parent organization: United Nations General Assembly
- Subsidiary: United Nations Volunteers
For jobs from United Nations Development Programme visit: UNDP Jobs Page