|Organization||United Nations Office for Project Services|
|Job Title||ICT Intern|
|Department/office||AFR, ETMCO, South Sudan|
|Duty station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Application period||31-Dec-2022 to 15-Jan-2023|
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Please note that UNOPS will at no stage of the recruitment process request candidates to make payments of any kind.
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS Ethiopia Multi-Country Office (ETMCO) – Sudan exciting career opportunity
UNOPS-ETMCO Sudan is recruiting for this position: ICT Intern based in Khartoum, Sudan.
Qualified women (female) candidates are encouraged to apply.
The UNOPS South Sudan office based in Juba works closely with the Government of South Sudan and helps a wide range of local and international partners improve the lives of the South Sudanese people by implementing infrastructure and procurement projects. The office has project activities in various locations in the country and is working in a range of sectors in South Sudan including transport, education, health, post-conflict stabilization, and emergency response.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the ICT Officer, the intern will be able to develop their expertise in ICT management, network administration, and application management. They will provide support on hardware familiarization and maintenance, software applications, file management/maintenance, and LAN/WAN systems as well as support the development of a technical manual.
- ICT management and administration
- Network administration and application management
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Opportunity to learn and provide support on efficient and effective ICT management and administration
- Participate in the maintenance of inventory of all computers, telecommunication equipment, Input/Output (I/O) devices, and software, and ensuring compliance with registration and upgrades.
- Support the effective functioning (installation, operation, and maintenance) of all UNOPS hardware equipment and acquiring hardware supplies.
- Perform specific technical functions as requested by the Supervisor, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and routine repairs.
- Install commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades and anti-virus programs on a timely basis.
- Perform minor repairs on hardware equipment, as required.
- Engage in preventive maintenance of ICT Equipment regularly.
- Provide advice on project implementation on all activities involving ICT.
2. Opportunity to learn and provide support on efficient network administration and application management services
- Provide assistance in the maintenance of the Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) systems to ensure that Network Operating Systems support databases, documents, resources, and data files.
- Provide support to the Installation, upgrading, and maintenance of LAN/WAN systems, including applications used in the system.
- Assist in the management and maintenance of equipment and applications associated with the electronic mail system.
- Monitor the network connection daily to ensure a stable and responsive network environment.
- Troubleshoot and monitor network problems.
- Ensure UNOPS desktops and network resources are protected from malicious virus attacks and work closely with the ICT Officer to deploy countermeasures in the event of attacks.
- Respond to user needs and questions regarding network access.
- Take a regular backup of the servers and restoration as per the established backup procedure.
- Support the Head of Support Services (HoSS), IT Officer, and Operations Team with the preparation and roll-out of the office business continuity management and disaster recovery plan.
- Involve in the maintenance of video conference applications and PABX operations.
- Participate in testing and installation of telecommunications hardware.
- Support the maintenance of the Regional Office website, Intranet, and related websites.
- Support the maintenance of application systems.
3. Opportunity to contribute to UNOPS knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide support to personnel on hardware familiarization and maintenance, software applications, file management/maintenance, and LAN/WAN systems.
- Under the guidance of the ICT Officer, develop and coordinate the production of a Technical Instruction Document for Training in Basic Computer Studies and training for personnel.
- A first-level university degree (e.g., Bachelor’s) in Information Sciences, Information Technology, Computer Sciences, or other related fields is required.
B. Work Experience
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience.
- Applicants should have graduated from the above-stated fields within three (3) years prior to the application date of the internship.
C. Language Requirements
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
Integrity & Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self And Others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as a positive leadership role model, motivates, directs, and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise, and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level, and duration – Internship
Contract type: Internship
Contract level: N/A
Contract duration: 6 months
This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions.
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunities. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups that are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.