What is the goal of the funding line?
Through this fellowship program, tenured faculty (in the rank of professor) at the University of Bonn can invite international postdoctoral fellows for a joint research project on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as set forth by the United Nations in its Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development. The scientists should research and teach together with a professor from the University of Bonn for one or two semesters.
Special Regional Focus
The University of Bonn currently has a large number of collaborations with universities and research institutes in Africa, Asia and Latin America. As shown by the SDG index, implementing the Sustainable Development Goals poses considerable challenges for many countries in these regions. Based on the 17th Sustainable Development Goal, “Partnerships for the Goals,” researchers in the above-mentioned regions are given preference for the Bonn SDG Fellowships. The goal is to support talented researchers and build and strengthen networks through them.
The funding is for a period of at least 3 and not more than 12 months.
The University of Bonn has a large number of collaborations with other institutes from Asia, Latin America and Africa. This fellowship will be for one or two semesters. Moreover, the funding period for this international fellowship will be 3 to 12 months. All interested candidates should have a field of research related to the topic of the SDGs. University of Bonn professors select international postdoctoral researchers for this fellowship. Fellows will be either researching or teaching at the University of Bonn as a fellow.
Germany is inviting international students for Postdoctoral Fellowships. Bonn SDG Fellowships 2021 in Germany is for international students who are motivated to conduct research in any of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The United Nations leads the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that are supposed to be achieved by 2030. All Fellows will be able to attend and contribute to joint research projects through this fellowship. Moreover, all scholars will be directed to teach and conduct research with the University of Bonn professors.
- Host country: Germany
- Host University: University of Bonn
- Fellowship Level: Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
- Duration of funding: from 3 months to 12 months
- Application deadline: May 31, 2021.
Who is eligible for funding?
Post-doctoral researchers (with foreign citizenship) invited by a professor of the University of Bonn for a joint research project. The fellow should research or teach at a university or research institute in the above-mentioned regions and demonstrate proven expertise in an area of research from the thematic spectrum of the SDGs.
Please note that we cannot match and establish contact between interested fellows and faculty at the University of Bonn.
What is the size of the funding?
The funding can cover the following:
- A travel allowance (depending on country of origin)
- A scholarship of € 3,000 per month (additional funds for family members: up to € 300 for a spouse and € 250 per child)
- A research expense allowance of up to € 500 per month can be submitted to the International Office after the fellowship has been awarded. Information on applying for the allowance will be provided with your fellowship award.
Insurance benefits are not included in the scholarship.
Please note that the International Office cannot provide housing for scholarship recipients.
The funding is for a period of at least 3 and not more than 12 months. When calculating costs please note the instructions in the financing plan (and use the following Excel table, download here).
What are the selection criteria?
- The quality of the research project to be worked on during the stay in Bonn
- Work on a topic that contributes to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as set forth by the United Nations in its Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development
- Relevance of the research topic to developments in the region of origin
- The fellow’s contribution to academic life in Bonn (e.g. via public lectures, seminars or colloquiums)
- The fellow’s integration into the host institute (place of work, integration into existing teaching and research activities)
- Follow-on value: a plan for future collaboration projects between the fellow and the host institute in Bonn
Who submits the application?
The application must be submitted by a full-time professor at the University of Bonn together with the fellow.Please note that we cannot match and establish contact between interested fellows and faculty at the University of Bonn.
How is the application submitted?
What does the application include?
- Online form
- Project description (PDF of max. 8 pages), consisting of:
- An outline of the research project to be worked on during the fellow’s stay in Bonn
- Reasons for the fellow’s invitation and a description of his or her contribution to research and teaching at the University of Bonn, an outline of the activities through which the fellow will enrich university life at the University of Bonn during his or her stay there
- An overview of the collaboration between the applicant and the fellow so far
- An outline of the integration of the fellow into the host institute (place of work, participation in teaching and research activities)
- An outline of follow-on value: (a) plan for the outcome of the stay, (b) plan for growing the collaboration in the future.
- Fellow’s CV (PDF)
- A financing plan (please use the following Excel table, download here)