OIST aims to train researchers who will play important roles in the international scientific community in leading scientific institutions in the public and private sectors. Accordingly, the program will allow candidates with high potential and motivation to become leaders in scientific research at the international level. The program seeks trainees who are highly motivated for advanced research at OIST, who also have the curiosity and academic ability necessary to excel in the chosen fields of study, and who have the ability for independent research and creative thinking. Successful applicants will also need a good command of spoken and written English to pursue advanced studies in the sciences, and the ability to interact effectively with people of various backgrounds and cultures.
The duration of the Japanese Research Internship is 2 to 6 months. Internships are advertised twice a year and candidates can apply accordingly. The selection process is very competitive and depends entirely on the applicant’s academic background, research passion, and available funding. The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Internship is a paid internship program. There is no application fee for this training program.
Apply for DAL Apprenticeship Program
- Host country: Japan
- Host Institute: Okinawa OIST Institute of Science and Technology
- Opportunity: Fully funded training
- Duration of training: 2-6 months
- Application deadline: October 15, 2022.
Funding provided in the Scholarships
- Student living allowance will be provided, 2,400 JPY per day (excluding weekends)
- Round trip travel expenses will be provided for research trainees.
- Research interns will receive subsistence expenses.
- The visa
- Nonlinear and Unbalanced Physics
- Quantum systems
- Evolutionary Genomics
- Fluid Mechanics
- Femtosecond spectroscopy
- Computational Neuroscience
- Neural arithmetic
- Biodiversity and Biotic Complexity
- Electronic and Quantum Magnetism
- Mathematics, Mechanics, and Materials
- Embodied Cognitive Science Unit
- Neural Coding and Brain Computation Unit
- Behavioral and Sensory Neuroscience
- Continuity Physics
- Igor Goryanin biological systems
- Theoretical physics
- Immune signals
- Organic optoelectronics
- Coordination and Catalytic Chemistry
- Membrane unit
- Quantum dynamics
- Membrane cooperation
- Protein engineering and evolution
- Genomic and Regulatory Systems Unit
- Information Processing Biology
- Developmental Neuroscience
- Ecology and Evolution
- Physics and Biology
- Marine Biophysics
- Quantum gravity
- Light-Matter Interactions for Quantum Technologies
- Quantum Materials Science
- Biological complexity
- Numerical simulation of laminar and turbulent complex flow.
- Marine climate change
- Plant Epigenetics
- Quantum matter theory
- Micro / biofluids / nanofluids
- Quantum wave microscope
- Cell Biology
- Nonlinear analysis unit
- Representation theory and algebraic associations unit
- Biophysics theory
- Experimental Quantum Information Physics
- Synaptic cellular and molecular function
- Chemistry and Biochemical Engineering
- Memory Research Unit
- Cognitive Neurorobotics
- Trauma, Solton and Disturbance Unit
- Gravitation, quantum engineering, and field theory
- Human Developmental Neuroscience
- Nerve rhythms in motion
- Developmental Neurobiology Unit
- Neurobiology research
- Cryo-electron molecular microscopy
- Cell signaling
- G0 cells unit
- Neural Mechanisms of the Critical Period
- The chemistry and engineering of nucleic acids
- Soft material inspired by the vitality
Your Chance to apply for: Romania Government Scholarship (Fully Funded)
Apply to Research Internship
Students in undergraduate program or recently graduated interested in joining the OIST PhD program may undertake educational activity at OIST as a Research Intern. A research internship at OIST provides students with experience working in a research environment under the direction of OIST faculty.
Research Intern places are awarded twice a year on a competitive basis. Selection is highly competitive and depends on the suitability of the intended research, academic background, available funding, and space. Not all available positions will necessarily be filled.
Candidates are considered for admission without regard to gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, medical condition, race, ethnicity, ancestry, culture, national origin, religion, or marital status. Applications from women and minorities are strongly encouraged.
- Applications to the program must be made through the online form.
- You can only submit your application after at least one recommendation letter is received in the application system.
- You will receive an auto-notification that your application has been received. (Please check your settings to ensure you can receive emails from the @oist.jp domain.)
- Following the application period, applications will be screened and selection will be completed.
- The result announcement will be posted on your application platform 3 months after the application deadline. You will receive a notification when the result is posted. (In some cases, applicants’ email services/settings prevent receipt of our notifications. Please confirm that your inbox is able to receive emails from the @oist.jp domain.)
- Following final confirmation of internship offers, all necessary arrangements will be made, in cooperation with the interns. Your cooperation is required for the timely completion of logistics to begin the internship, including possible visa preparations and other necessary Japanese government documentation.
Those eligible to apply for the OIST Research Internship Program include excellent students who are in the final 2 years of the undergraduate or Master’s programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or graduates of such institutions. Currently, enrolled students must have approval from their home institution. The academic background of applicants should be appropriate to their desired host unit(s) at OIST.
Required Application Materials
You will need to open an account in order to apply to the program. Be sure to remember your username and password. You may complete the application all at once or in multiple sessions. Please fill out and submit the following materials to apply for the program:
1) Curriculum Vitae Sheet
Please upload your CV on the online application form.
- There is no required format. However, you can use this OIST CV Template as reference.
2) Statement of Interest
The Statement of Interest form is provided on the online application form.
Please write a 400-word statement including the following points:
- How does OIST and your desired research unit(s) fit with your current expertise and skill set? If you are interested in multiple research units, please explain your interest and fit for each briefly within one single statement.
- What do you hope to accomplish at OIST?
- How does a research internship at OIST fit into your overall career plans/aspirations?
3) Academic Transcript
Scanned copies of your current academic transcript and any other transcript from your past degree (BSc, MSc, etc.)
- An English explanation is required for transcripts that are not written in English.
4) Recommendation Letter
A letter of reference from an academic or research professional familiar with your work is required. Each applicant is required to have at least one and no more than three letters of recommendation from appropriate referees. The application system will ask your referee directly for the letter(s), using the email contact details that you provide in the web application form. Please obtain the consent of your referee before submitting their details in the form. We do not accept any letters via email from applicants. Applicants will be automatically notified within the application system when OIST receives a recommendation letter.
5) ID Photo
Upload a recent photo, showing your face from the front in standard passport orientation.
Once you have obtained/ prepared all the documents above, please apply to the program through this APPLICATION FORM
As you know, it is important to master the English language, so we offer you 8 free courses from the American Embassy from here US Embassy English Language Courses